Friday, December 17, 2010

Emily Rose

So I haven't written in a while because it is hard to know where to start. I'm guessing that if you are reading this, you already know we lost our little girl. I was 15.5 weeks when they couldn't find a heartbeat and had a D&E a week later. There was no reason, were no chromosomal abnormalities, nothing. We are devastated and still mourning, still making sense of it all. There is so much to say, so much we've been through since we found out, but it is hard to put it all down here. We decided to have her cremated, and I took her home in a little box instead of beautiful new clothes and a shiny new car seat, but she is home, where she belongs.

I had to have Lizzie's parent/teacher conference pretty quickly after the surgery and didn't go through all the papers that her teacher gave me until a few days ago. I found a drawing of Lizzie's that said "My Hero" at the top and the teacher had written "Mom" at the bottom, explaining what the drawing was meant to be. This would have meant a lot to me at any time, but it really has been my saving grace now. I have tried to keep going for my kids, tried to cry after they go to sleep, but it isn't easy when you just want to stay in bed all day and wallow in sadness. I still wish I'd had the chance to do that, to feel like I'd really had a chance to mourn, but I am grateful for my little girls, so what can you do? So, I went through a pop-tarts and taco bell, no make-up and bad hair stage, but I'm slowly emerging from that pattern. I have this drawing up in my bathroom and it really changes my heart and helps me get moving. I am looking forward to a couple of weeks without the morning rush, though.

We had a bunch of friends stay with us a couple of weeks ago, and it brought some much needed joy to our house. We are looking forward to the holidays, too, although I'm dreading hearing anyone else tell me that everything happens for a reason. I just don't believe that. I've witnessed too many bad things in my life, and while good can come of bad things, I don't think God works that way. My mom always quoted a verse about bad things happening to good people, "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and unrighteous." Matthew 5:45. I guess when you grow up with bad things, you are more comfortable knowing there are a lot of things that can't be explained, that don't happen for some greater purpose, that you can't wrap up in a shiny, pretty package and say, "this is why and it's worth the pain because of x, y and z." So, if you are reading this, don't tell me "everything happens for a reason", cuz I'm pretty sure that the next person who says that is going to witness Brenda the New Yorker and might lose a few teeth. Nothing is worth this pain, no other child will replace this child, no good can outweigh this bad. And that's life, kids.

So, while we are in the midst of life's ugliness, all we can do is look for and appreciate the joy. While our friends were here, I took Lizzie ice skating for the first time. One of our friends, Jeff K. (a much better ice skater than me), took his little three year old, too. We struggled to get a quarter of the way around the rink before Lizzie had a complete meltdown and had to be rescued by another friend of ours, Jeff P. I skated around to meet them at the entrance, and he asked her to try again for a couple of pics. She hit the ice with such determination that my heart just soared. She kept saying, "Try again, keep trying, hold on tight!" I'm crying as I write this because it is my favorite moment as a mom, ever. For her to learn that lesson, to really keep trying means everything to me. It is one of my goals as a parent to make sure that my kids aren't intimidated by failure, so this was a huge step in that direction. She went all the way around with me, then let Jeff K. drag her around the ice a bit and had a blast. Oh, being a mom...

There's a poopy diaper with my name all over it and a Christmas chapel to get to, so that's all for now.

Xoxo

11 comments:

Laurie Van Essen said...

You can still call me Bren, I went through all of the same emotions, people are very ignorant about someone's feelings. The next time I was pregnant with my first boy, there was a woman, that I knew, came up to me and asked what I was having, I told her it was a boy, and she said, "Well, you must be glad, otherwise it would just remind you of the one you lost" How stupid is she? I will never forget Madison for as long as I live. I think of her every day still, even though I don't cry as all the time, sometimes the song will come on that we had at her funeral, "I can only Imagine" and I will bust out in tears. It's ok to cry...forever, that means you will never forget her. I love you lots and miss you!

krista said...

I am so sorry. My heart is aching for you & I have tears as I can only understand a piece of the hurt and grief that you are feeling after losing baby #2 to a miscarriage a year ago. Although I know it is not the same, that hurt is all too familiar and I grieve with you. I am so sorry for the hurt that you are feeling as a Mom.
I will be praying for you and your sweet family as your mourn the loss of your sweet Emily.

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I'm glad you posted this.
I so agree about the difficulty of mourning when you have little kids in the house. Not very doable which just makes things worse. In movies people always get to lay in bed for days. Hopefully over Christmas you'll get some much needed down time.
It was so great to watch you and Lizzie skate. I'm so glad Jeff P. captured such great photos of it.
Much Love and Peace,
Erin K.

Ellen Haakma said...

Brenda,I completely felt everything you were saying I lost a baby at 16 weeks and people just expected that I had'nt meet the baby so it would'nt be as hard as if I had giving birth and then lost the child.The pain is so real no matter how far along you are.You guys are so blessed that you got to bring her home were she belongs .I never got my baby and to this day I wish I could have that.Time heals and that is the only thing.I also dont belive that god is the reason for all the bad things that happen in our lives ,So the saying It happened for a reason just hurts worse when your mourning.I will pray for you. I am looking at it 12 years out and I hurts less but you never ever stop thinking about what could have been.I am sure God will bless you and your family again and it will make that pregnancy even more of a gift and make you treasure the babies you do have. Ellen

Ellen Haakma said...

Brenda,I completely felt everything you were saying I lost a baby at 16 weeks and people just expected that I had'nt meet the baby so it would'nt be as hard as if I had giving birth and then lost the child.The pain is so real no matter how far along you are.You guys are so blessed that you got to bring her home were she belongs .I never got my baby and to this day I wish I could have that.Time heals and that is the only thing.I also dont belive that god is the reason for all the bad things that happen in our lives ,So the saying It happened for a reason just hurts worse when your mourning.I will pray for you. I am looking at it 12 years out and I hurts less but you never ever stop thinking about what could have been.I am sure God will bless you and your family again and it will make that pregnancy even more of a gift and make you treasure the babies you do have. Ellen

Ellen Haakma said...

Brenda,I completely felt everything you were saying I lost a baby at 16 weeks and people just expected that I had'nt meet the baby so it would'nt be as hard as if I had giving birth and then lost the child.The pain is so real no matter how far along you are.You guys are so blessed that you got to bring her home were she belongs .I never got my baby and to this day I wish I could have that.Time heals and that is the only thing.I also dont belive that god is the reason for all the bad things that happen in our lives ,So the saying It happened for a reason just hurts worse when your mourning.I will pray for you. I am looking at it 12 years out and I hurts less but you never ever stop thinking about what could have been.I am sure God will bless you and your family again and it will make that pregnancy even more of a gift and make you treasure the babies you do have. Ellen

The Howe Family said...

Bren,
This made me cry for you all over again. Continuing to pray for all of you. I am glad you brought Emily home where she belongs.
Will you please email me your address?
Love you,
Jen
PS - wish we were closer...I would totally hit up Taco Bell with you. I'd even make you some graham crackers with American cheese slices for dessert.

Jenny said...

We love you guys Brenda. BJ and I completely agree with you on the idiocy of the whole "it happens for a reason" nonsense. I think that that phrase must be uttered by people who have never lost anyone. We hope this Christmas is as wonderful as it can be for you. May God give you rest and joy.

Anonymous said...

Just randomly clicked on your blog. feel us though i should say something. i have never lost someone so close, so i have no idea the pain you must feel. but i do have a 3 year old and a 3 month old and know that i would do anything for them...
i live on the other side of the world but yet some things are the same no matter where you are.
I would love to take my daughter ice skating, something not all that common in these parts but maybe i will....

♥♦Bren Duh♦♥ said...

Hug

Anonymous said...

If you weeped for the missing sunset,you would miss all the shining stars -->>agematch-->> [url]http://www.youdatingme.com[/url] I It's a great dating service for 30+ singles .The quality dating site successfully help over millions people (special in Australia, USA, Canada, United Kingdom and other countries of EU etc.)for fun, romance, relationships, love and more. Meet and chat instantly with seniors from your area